FishEye Television
Welcome
Login / Register

BROUGHTY FERRY, DUNDEE. SCOTLAND. AUGUST 2017.

Thanks! Share it with your friends!

URL

You disliked this video. Thanks for the feedback!

Sorry, only registred users can create playlists.
URL


Added by Admin in Fly Fishing
73 Views
CT Airlink is the reasonable and cheapest Limousine and Car Service in Bridgeport, Danbury, Norwalk, Shelton, Stamford, Bethel, Brookfield, Darien, Easton, Fairfield, Greenwich, Monroe, New Canaan, New Fairfield, Newtown. CTairlink use shuttles for Limo Service CT, Car Service CT, Airport Shuttle CT, Airport Transportation CT and CT Limo Service . www.CTairlink.com provide the highest quality services at the best prices that can be found in Connecticut. By offering cheap limo services and cheap car services we ensure that private transportation is affordable and accessible.

Description

BROUGHTY FERRY: Broughty Ferry (Scottish Gaelic: Bruach Tatha - Scots: Brochtie) is a suburb in Dundee, Scotland. It is situated four miles east of the city centre on the north bank of the Firth of Tay. The area was a separate burgh from 1864 until 1913, when it was incorporated into Dundee.
Formerly a prosperous fishing and whaling village, in the 19th century Broughty Ferry became a haven for wealthy jute barons, who built their luxury villas in the suburb. As a result, Broughty Ferry was referred to at the time as the "richest square mile in Europe".
It is administered as part of the Dundee City council ward. At a national level, it is represented by both the UK Parliamentary constituency of Dundee East and the Scottish Parliamentary constituency of Dundee City East.
Several road and rail routes are located within the area; Broughty Ferry railway station is situated in the center of the suburb, and the A930 road skirts its main retail area. Broughty Ferry is also linked by several bus routes to its neighbouring suburbs and to central Dundee.
The name Broughty Ferry may derive from Bruach Tatha meaning "Taybank" in Scottish Gaelic. A piece of folk etymology holds that the name derives from the Lowland Scots broch, meaning some form of fortification, with the 'ty' being a shortening of the name of the River Tay, and Ferry being added later in recognition of the town's role as a ferry port. However, this is unlikely, as the word order would probably be "Tay Broch", rather than "Broch Tay".
Evidence exists of a human settlement in pre-historic times, later developing into a prosperous fishing and whaling village, before becoming home to 19th century jute barons who had their factories in Dundee. At this time it was known as the 'richest square mile in Europe'.[citation needed]
In 1495 Broughty Castle was built and remained in use as a major defensive structure until 1932, playing a role in the Anglo-Scottish Wars and the Wars of the Three Kingdoms. The castle stands on a shallow tip projecting into the Firth, alongside two beaches, one of sand, the other of pebbles.
Additionally an English fort was located on what is now known as Forthill. Fortified around 1548 and demolished in 1550, no trace of this now survives due to the development of later buildings and gardens. However it was recorded in 1845 that less than 60 years earlier some of the walls still stood.
The village has two Category A listed buildings, St Stephen’s Church (the parish church of the West Ferry) and St Luke’s Church built in the 19th century. St Stephen’s has exceptionally fine Victorian windows thought to be the best collection of Edward Burne-Jones stained glass in Scotland.
Prior to the construction of the first Tay Rail Bridge in 1878, a roll-on/roll-off railway ferry linked the Edinburgh to Aberdeen railway line between Tayport and Broughty Ferry, until the construction of the rail bridge made it redundant.
On 2 December 1943, a pigeon from Broughty Ferry called Winkie was awarded the Dickin Medal for "delivering a message under exceptional difficulties and so contributing to the rescue of an Air Crew while serving with the RAF in February 1942".
On 8 December 1959 the town's lifeboat, the RNLB Mona, was lost with all hands attempting to rescue a foundering lightship.
Shot in 4K. Edited in Corel Video Studio 10.
Note: The core content contained in the above combined articles, was originally written several A.N. Others + myself, then combined. It was all re-formatted, re-edited, with the spelling & grammar corrected, then added to where pertinent, before being updated by me, myself, and I, to suit this subject matter more exclusively.
Thank you to all those involved.

Post your comment

RSS